]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

OHIO-BIRDS Home

OHIO-BIRDS  September 2013

OHIO-BIRDS September 2013

Villa Angela/Wildwood (Euclid Creek) Cleveland 9/4, 9/6

Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>

Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Sep 2013 20:39:12 -0700

text/plain

I was able to get to Villa Angela & Wildwood Parks (now part of Euclid Creek Reservation) in Cleveland Wed 9/4 and today 9/6 and find a small number of migrant birds very late in the day.

9/4 (Wed)5:20pm to 8pm

Blackpoll Warbler in Villa Angela
Swainson's Thrush 1, Magnolia Warbler 1, Wilson's Warbler 1, Black-throated Green 1.  I was at the bottom of the Wildwood woods (west bank of Euclid Creek) the warblers were in the very tall trees on the east side of the creek) I had seen a brown thrush on 9/2 that disappeared in Villa Angela. This thrush was in the willows right above the creek.

9/6 (Fri) 5:45pm to 8pm

In Wildwood wetland:
Black-crowned Night-Herons 4 (1 adult, 1juv, 2 immature)

In Villa Angela:
Blackpoll Warblers 3
Bay-breasted Warbler 1
Wilson's Warbler 2
Common Yellowthroat 1
Empid Flycatcher 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1

The Blackpoll, Bay-breasted and one Wilson's were near the asphalt path south of the beach near the fenceline of mobile home park and the very tall pine trees
and the surrounding trees and willows.  The other Wilson's was west of the grassy knoll and it had a friend with it that was probably another Wilson's.  I had heard earlier in the day there were more warblers seen down by Euclid Creek in Wildwood but today when I got there I did not see any.

As I was walking back to my car in the marina I was walking on the asphalt path that runs along the northern edge of the new wetland in Wildwood around 7:40pm.  I watched as an immature Black-crowned Night-Heron flew in and landed on a horizontal dead tree in the wetland.  Then I realized there were at least four of them, 1 adult, 1 juvenile with spots and two immature (1st summer) and they were actively feeding in the water.  This is the first time I have seen these all together this summer.  The new wetland made this viewing possible.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/