OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2013 21:02:53 -0400
The Columbus Audubon trip to this corridor found a beautiful morning, but few migrants today.  We started at Innis Park, then walked down to Alum Creek Park along the Alum Creek Greenway Trail.  Finding little here, we tried to go for a larger migrant trap, stopping at Sharon Woods Metropark and hiking the Spring Creek trail, but with only slight improvement.  Notables for the morning included:

Hummingbirds - 2-3 Ruby-throats at Innis, a few elsewhere
Woodpeckers - many Downies & Red-bellies, and a few Flickers, but nothing else
Flycatchers - E.Wood Pewees at several spots.  Great Crested Flycatcher gave a brief view at Innis.
Swallows - a few Tree Swallows were over one of the meadows along the Alum creek Trail
Vireos - Red-eyed were at both Innis and Sharon Woods, while a Warbling was along the Alum Creek Trail
Thrushes - a Wood Thrush was calling early at Innis, but nothing else other than Robins
Mimids - nothing but Catbirds, but they were fairly common at Innis
Warblers - very few.  We had a Nashville and a Blackburnian at Innis, and a Wilson's and 4 Redstarts at Sharon Woods
Sparrows - oddly, hardly a one, even in the fields at Sharon Woods