OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
"Donald Morse, Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donald Morse, Jr.
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2013 23:03:03 -0400
Date: Sunday, September 8, 2013
Location: East Fork south beach
Reporter: Donald Morse Jr.
Other Birders: Frank Frick, Roger Hickey, others

This morning I followed up on the reported Little Gull that was being
seen here. I was kind of suspicious of the sighting on the basis that
I have been at East Fork almost every day this past week.

When I arrived at about 9am this morning, birders were looking at a
bird on the beach in their scopes. I proceeded down to them and was
told to check out the little gull in the scope. I of course, not
having a scope, took the offer. Only the bird in the scope was a
winter Forster's Tern not a little gull. I discussed my opinions with
a couple that insisted it was indeed a little gull. They did not
disclose their names. I later discussed my discrepancies with Frank
and Roger, both agreeing with my ID of Forster's tern. I got pictures
of the bird up on my blog.

There was also a FOS Bonaparte's Gull present. After Frank and the
others left, Roger and I stayed just a little longer. I spotted an odd
looking shorebird on the left rocky corner of the beach that looked
interesting. Upon closer examination, it was IDed as an UPLAND
SANDPIPER. The bird had an injured wing. Photos were obtained and are
on my blog.

I later found out that another uppie or the same bird???? was found in
a yard in Bethel that was injured and called into the WBU in
Montgomery. Talking with a staff member there, the bird was supposedly
taken to rehabbers.

The whole strange day is discussed further on my blog here with pics
of all birds involved:

http://donaldthebirder.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-strange-tern-of-events.html