Re: Union County: Possible Raven

"Grody, Elayna M." <[log in to unmask]>

Grody, Elayna M.

Mon, 9 Sep 2013 11:58:05 -0400

text/plain

This is very interesting because I, too have seen a big bird looking suspiciously like a raven when I have been in that area.  I go back and forth from W. Mansfield to Columbus along 33 about two times a week.  I will keep my eyes peeled better now.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ohio birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of troy shively
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2013 11:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [Ohio-birds] Union County: Possible Raven

Blake,I have been hesitant to post this to the list due to the fact that I have not been able to confirm it, but I have seen what I am very sure is a raven twice this year between Bellefontaine and Marysville.  Each time I was going 70 MPH and couldn't get a diagnostic look, but I once saw it flying and the tail was a perfect match for a raven.  The only problem is - I've been burned before.  A few times I have seen large birds with raven-like characteristics and when I got close to them I found they were very large crows.  There are other birders in the Logan/Union county area who have seen possible ravens in the past year.   We also have at least one pair of black vultures, so keep an eye out for them.  Eastern Logan county has the perfect habitat for ravens, so I wouldn't put it past there being a few in the area.  I just won't believe it 100%(even my own sightings) until all the field marks are noted and/or a photograph is taken.Thanks for the sighting,Troy