Re: Cricket Frogs/Yellow Rail

Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 Sep 2013 16:56:00 -0400

text/plain

Yeah, BIWA is a good place for both species, but with a lot more frogs
than rails! Yellow rails, like most birds, use their vocalizations
mostly during the breeding period, rather than fall, and if you listen
to recordings, their sounds are easily distinguishable from the far more
likely and numerous sounds from the frogs. The BNA treatment says "In
Michigan, males cease calling about mid-Jul (Stenzel 1982), but in
Quebec they call as late as 25 Aug (Robert and Laporte 1993)."
Still, there are plenty of September records of yellow rails in Ohio,
and the October records tend to be early in the month. Overall, we get a
lot more yellow rails in Ohio than are ever documented well enough to
record.
Bill Whan

On 9/11/2013 3:57 PM, Jeff Grabmeier wrote:
> However, as a counterpoint, I had a visual confirmation of a Yellow Rail in
> flight at Big Island on an Aug. 15, way back in 1999. So they definitely
> have occurred there at this time of year.
>
> Jeff Grabmeier
> Columbus, Ohio
>

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 3:05 PM, jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
>
>> While Big Island certainly offers incredible and vast habitat for all rail
>> species, Yellow Rail typically does not pass through northern Ohio until
>> the first and second weeks of October. Please keep in mind, OH birders,
>> that Big Island has a solid population of Blanchard's Cricket Frogs, which
>> sound nearly exactly like Yellow Rail, and have historically confused
>> several birders visiting this location.
>>
>> Jen [log in to unmask]
>> Cleveland, Ohio
>> 330-701-6452