OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2013 22:01:18 -0400
Today Aimee Weidner was thoughtful enough to tell Kimberly and me that some
shorebird flats were exposed at a site that has been good in the past. It's
in Ottawa County north of Oak Harbor and south of State Route 2, on Turtle
Creek just north of the junction of Duff-Washa and Lemon Roads. Here, on
the east side of Lemon Rd., there often have been exposed flats in past
seasons, hosting good numbers of shorebirds. This year the water mostly has
been too high. But strong southwest winds during the last couple of days
had cleared some of the water out.

By the time I got there this afternoon, the wind had shifted and the water
had started to rise again, but the area still had Lesser Yellowlegs,
Pectoral Sandpiper, and others, as well as many Great Egrets and a pair of
Trumpeter Swans. Ryan Lesniewicz stopped by while I was there, and agreed
that the water had been lower just a little earlier. At any rate, for Ohio
birders seeking scarce shorebird habitat this season, this is another spot
to check when winds are from the southwest. If you go there, please don't
park (or even slow down) on Duff-Washa Road; fast drivers coming around
blind curves here make that too dangerous. On Lemon Road just north of the
bridge there's room to park, and you can walk to good vantage points from
there.

Thanks again to Aimee for sharing the information!

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, OH