OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:15:16 -0400
I just returned from a walk along the bike path from the Rockside Road
parking lot. I walked south to Stone Road and back.

There was a great white egret a short distance from the parking lot. It was
fishing in the Canal near a green heron. The egret was very content to fish;
and, it didn't mind someone watching.

A little bit farther south was what I think was an immature merganser
paddling with some wood ducks. It was mostly brown with a dark bill. The
bill had a little bit of yellow on the bottom part. The head was dark brown
with a little bit of a crest. The chin and neck were buff. The merganser
seemed to follow the wood ducks.

The best thing I saw was near Stone Road. I saw two red-tailed hawks
circling just above the treetops. One was the normal color. The other was
chocolate brown with the reddish tail. I got a good look at the two hawks
with my binoculars for about 10 minutes. They were fairly low. They would go
down into the tree and then come out again. Maybe they were having trouble
getting a thermal. There were also some turkey vultures in the same area.
But, the dark bird was a red-tail. I saw its reddish tail. It was also
flying close to the other hawk. I am not sure if this is a local bird or a
migrant. I have read that some hawks have started to go south.