OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2013 21:28:24 -0400
Following up on Craig Holt's earlier post, my wife Denise and I visited Berlin Lake in extreme northeast Stark County from 5:45PM to 7PM, today, Wednesday. We had the serenity of the shoreline walk, along with the sandspit and the mudflats, all to ourselves. We basically duplicated Craig's list, with the highlights being a single Buff-breasted Sandpiper blending in on the dry mudflats, a single White-rumped Sandpiper on the exposed concrete, and 20+ American Golden-Plovers. Also present were numerous Pectoral Sandpipers, numerous Killdeer, and smaller numbers of Semi-palmated Plovers, Lesser Yellowlegs, and Least Sandpipers. To reach this location, park at what us local birders call the old Drive-In Restaurant lot. It is a primitive parking lot located about halfway between the SR225 Bridge and Price Street, 0.4 mile south of the SR225 Bridge, on the west side of the road. Park, walk to the water. Go right and follow the sandy shoreline out to the corner peninsula. You can see the SR225 Bridge to the east, and the Price Street Bridge to the south. Traditionally in September, in past years, this location, the peninsula, has been the most productive Buff-breasted Sandpiper site we know of. Our record high count here, eleven, was on September 7th, 2008. A scope is recommended.

Bob Lane / Neighboring Mahoning County