OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2013 17:20:30 -0700
The Cleveland Metroparks had it's monthly bird walk today from 9am to 11am at Villa Angela/Wildwood Parks (part of Euclid Creek Reservation).  I didn't wait (I am inpatient) for the final count of everything that was seen but I believe approx. 9 or 10 warblers were seen.
Nashville, Magnolia, Cape May (I missed) Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Green, Blackpoll, American Redstart, Common Yellowthroat, Wilson's.  Sorry if I missed some seen.  Also, Caspian Tern, many Northern Flickers, Robins, Black-crowned Night-Herons 2 or 3, Red-shouldered Hawk, 2 Red-tailed Hawks, Blue-headed Vireo, Red-eyed Vireos, Philadelphia Vireos, Swainson's Thrush, I believe Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Catbirds, Cedar Waxwings, many Chimney Swifts.

I continued to bird there til 4pm.  I walked with Jeanne Hrenko, then Christi Carlson and they left.  I was alone long time then Mark Anderson showed up late and then left.  Here are some of the numbers of birds I found from 11am to 4pm.

The birds were seen in approx. four areas and only at certain times.  The field north of the library at the east end south of the trees.  West of the grassy knoll near path into woods, west of bathhouse near large grassy oval south of the trees that are south of the asphalt path and nearby paths into woods.  Also, the Wildwood side near the asphalt path that comes out of the woods.  The best birds were when I walked up to the lake at the west end of grassy oval in the willows around 1:50pm and four or five birds all together were all Blue-headed Vireos.  Every bird I put my bincos on was a Blue-headed.  Nothing much was seen here earlier in the day.

Flycatcher 1 only one I saw in field need help
Blue-headed Vireos (at least 4 maybe 5)
Red-eyed Vireos 3 together(seen with Christi)
House Wrens 3 or 4
Ruby-crowned Kinglets 3 (some near field near library)
Gray-cheeked Thrush 1 seen on 9/21 (mark had one today)
Brown Thrasher 3-4
I addition to above warblers:
Nashville seen approx. 7
Northern Parula 1 first fall female south of bathhouse with Mark)
Common Yellowthroat seen approx. 10 (most west of grassy knoll in goldenrod and the continually birdy area in entrance to field north of library)
Wilson's 4-5
Chestnut-sided 1 (field area near wren house)

Scarlet Tanager 1 female(near edge of grassy oval on path going into woods from bathhouse)
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1 was squeaking on path leading into woods west of grassy knoll)

And the reason I was here all day was to find and photograph the White-throated Sparrows I heard in the field in the morning.  Initially I only heard the sound that sounds like a Song Sparrow.  After everyone left I started seeing them in the field near library, west of grassy knoll and up near the grassy oval coming out of the woods closer to the lake.  They started making the bing bing noise too.  Some were in the goldenrod in the field near library.  Had hard time getting any pictures.  By this time Mark showed up at saw them too. There had to be at least 15-20.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Heights, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/