OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2013 20:40:53 -0400
The Columbus Audubon trips to these parks along the Scioto River near downtown found beautiful weather, but few migrants.  Bird diversity between the 2 parks was OK, but numbers were paltry, and we went long stretches without finding a bird.  The Grange Insurance Audubon Center feeders were empty, so our easy source of sparrows and finches was gone.  Notables for the morning included:

cormorants - one of the most common birds along the river, with 70+ above the Greenlawn dam and lots of fly-overs
Ducks - a few Blue-winged Teal and Wood Ducks were along the Scioto River
Herons,Egrets - 3 Great Egrets were around the bay above the dam, while a Green Heron was in the wetland north of the GIAC
Shorebirds - aside from the expected Kildeer, we also had 1 Solitary Spr and 3 Least Sprs.
Cooper's Hawks - 2 were lurking along the bikepath in Scioto Audubon
Flycatchers - 1 Phoebe was around the pier at Scioto Audubon, while 2 Wood Pewees were along the Berliner bikepath
Swallows - small groups of Rough-wings and Trees started appearing along the river after 10 AM
Vireos - a Warbling was singing along the SCioto Audubon bikepath, while a Philadelphia was foraging in Berliner
Wrens - House Wrens were one of the few migrants in good numbers with 1-2 at several locations
Thrushes - a total washout, which is surprising given the #s around Columbus in the past 3-4 days
Warblers - surprisingly scant, with a few Nashvilles at Scioto Audubon, and Blackpoll, Chesnut-sided, and Redstart along the Berliner bikepath.  There weren't even any flyovers.

Grosbeak&Buntings - Rose-br.Grosbeak was calling in Berliner, where 2-3 Indigo Buntings were also along a weedy edge.
Sparrows - a few small flocks of Chippings were along the woods edge at Berliner, but nothing else was with them.  Song Sparrows were in expected places in the fields around the Grange Audubon Center