OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
"Prinster, Mark" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Prinster, Mark
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2013 20:51:10 -0400
They could very well be blue wing teal.  They are the earliest of North
American ducks to head south and at this time many of the males have not
yet acquired their tell tale nuptial plumage complete with the white
crescent in front of the eye on a grey-blue head.  There are likely
juveniles mixed in which still would look like hens from a distance,
regardless of the sex.

--
Mark Prinster,
Senior Scientist