OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2013 00:41:16 -0400
I slipped out Saturday morning to bird Deer Creek south of Columbus, and
ended the trip with a jaunt over to South Charleston to check on the
Eurasian Collared-Dove population.

At Deer Creek, I had a decent mix of migrants at Post Rd. (details and
photos at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15056763) including
multiple *Tennessee *Warblers, *Magnolia* and *Canada* Warblers, a *Red-headed
Woodpecker*, a huge flock of Common Grackles, and a nice mix of more common
birds.

After working my way to the other end of the reservoir, I had a small flock
of seven *Eastern Kingbirds* together in two adjacent trees along the
entrance to the swim beach area. At the beach, I added a *Baird's Sandpiper*,
*Black Vulture* and *Caspian*, *Common* and *Forster's* Terns.  Photos at

I found the *Eurasian Collared-Doves* just south of South Charleston on Hw
41, near a fenced in area owned by Trupointe (a grain cooperative).  It has
a large "Croplan Genetics" sign on the main building.  Many photos of these
birds (all appeared to be adults), and more details about the observation
are at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15072111.

All of the photos in the above checklists are also visible at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/

Good birding,
Paul Hurtado
Columbus, OH