OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2013 21:10:45 -0400
I visited these two MetroParks southeast of Columbus looking for migrants, with some success.  There was a modest fallout at Blacklick Woods, with a few flocks of migrants in the edges and blowdown areas of the forest.  Pickerington Ponds had high water levels at Ellis Pond and Teal Pond, but Wood Duck Marsh was showing lots of mudflats (which had only attracted some 30 Kildeer so far).  Notables for the morning included:

Great Egrets - 10 were gathered in Teal Pond at Pick Ponds
Osprey - 1 flew south over Ellis Pond at Pick Ponds
Red-shouldered Hawk - a pair was calling back and forth in Blacklick Woods, an unusual spot for them
Pileated Woodpecker - 1 was along the Beech Trail at Blacklick Woods
E.Wood Pewees - lots at Blacklick Woods , with 18-20 in the hour-and-a-half I was there.
Swallows - small flocks at Pick Ponds, mostly of Rough-wings (25+), but also a few Trees and Barns
Vireos - 3 Red-eyed were at Blacklick Woods
Gnatcatchers - singles were at each site
Thrushes - 3 Wood Thrushes were lurking in the beech forest at Blacklick Woods
Mimids - Catbirds were the only mimid, with modest #s at both sites
Warblers - a few mixed flocks at Blacklick Woods yielded 1 Parula, 3 Tennessees, 4 Blackburnians, 4 Magnolias, 1 Black-thr.Green, and 1 Ovenbird
Buntings,Grosbeaks - 1 Indigo Bunting was along the Meadowlark Trail at Pick Ponds
Bobolinks - 2 were in the fields around Wood Duck overlook
Orioles - 2 Baltimores were mixed with the flocks at Blacklick Woods