OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2013 14:26:46 -0400
Hi all,

I don't know how many of you get the chance to bird the Teal/Harrier
wetlands (part of Battelle Darby) but it always has potental and now today
we discovered that a network of wet fresh cut trails can be followed for
access to the East side of the wetlands, through a variety of complex
vegitation, and most importantly access to short grass, goldenrod, open
areas with tussocks/saplings that apparently are attractive to birds.
 Along Kulhwein Rd. the overgrown weed/shrub/brush area S of the road is
good also.  We spent 4 hours this morning covering both areas find some
nice warblers, sparrows (alas no Le Conte's or Nelson's, but someone will
this fall I bet).  Late Bank Swallows continue (12, Kulhwein), 6 Eurasian
Collared Doves flying over Kulwein Rd, and both VA Rail and Sora and Marsh
Wren (17) at Teal/Harrier Wetlands.

Waterfowl:  400 Wood Ducks, Blue winged Teal, 200 N. Pintail, 350 Green
winged Teal mostly flying in T/H wetlands.

Raptors: both Sharp-shinned and Cooper's Hawks, 12 Red-tailed Hawks, ten
Northern Harriers, and one Merlin.  The SWHA may be here and there for a
couple of days, although not seen today, as many times on the east coast
i.e. Cape May.

Woodpeckers:  2 imm Red-headed flying over T/H wetlands

Flycatchers:  2 undifferentiated "Traill's" in a group of small saplings
along the E side of Teal/Harrier wetlands and a nice Least low in a large
patch of goldenrod in the same area.

Vireos:two Phillies were sharring the goldenrod and small stand of broad
leaf saplings along the open area of this habitat on the E side of T/H
wetlands.

Warblers and sparrows:  open areas of goldenrod/weeds/grasses along the E
side of T/H wetlands were very active.  We found, first by the distinctive
chip, and enjoyed first one ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER and finally up to four.
  Goldenrods a favorite of CONNECTICUT WARBLER produced four which we
kickout out and finally saw well.  Two more, for a total of SIX, were at
Kuhlwein.  Standing still, bill raised they look for all the world like
thrushes (in silhouette).  A male and and immature Mourning Warbler were
skulking among the weeds then moved up into the saplings where we had
better looks (another was a Kulhwein Rd.). The immature can be passed off
as a COYT except that it is rich yellow from throat to vent, with green
tint on flanks.

Perhaps the best find, an immature male Priarie Warbler (only the third
I've seen here all year) was fairly coopertive at Kuhlwein Rd.  An active
migrant, it came out several times to perch on the top of stalks, his tail
going without a break.   Palm Warblers seem to have just arrived, with at
least 33, all western, at Kulhwein Rd.   Savannah Sparrows were abundant
with about 175 and at least 43 Grasshopper and 4 Lincoln's Sparrows along
the east side of T/H wetlands.  Finally, five BLGR were noted, all one yr.
old m., 3 T/H and 2 KR.

If no one has ever walked the network of trails leading east, should try
it. And report what they find!

Good birding to all,

--
Patty and David Tan