OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
Ethan Kistler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ethan Kistler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2013 19:00:11 -0700
I don't think I would call that narrow line a wave of
Bob and others,

I don't think I would call that narrow line a wave of birds. One possible explanation could be insects, perhaps Common Green Darners. Today I have noted reports all over Facebook and email mentioning 'flocks' of hundreds of Common Green Darners appearing all over Ohio. A quick Google search yielded this article (http://www.loudounwildlife.org/HHMigrationDragonflies.htm), which explains their migration. It states "Sometimes the migration takes place in huge mass flights of hundreds of
thousands or millions of dragonflies that congregate along seacoasts or
lakeshores and then fly enmasse..."

Ethan Kistler
Newton Falls, Ohio