OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
Justin Bosler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Justin Bosler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2013 00:16:59 -0400
Hello all,

     This morning, 14 September, I joined Kurt Wray for some shorebirding
and shorebird photography at the Bay Point sandbar directly N of Sandusky,
though just inside Ottawa County.  Kurt accesses the sandbar by boat.  I
have not looked into whether the general public can access the site by land
via the gated resort community.

     Most interesting was the species diversity versus total number of
individuals, with 27 individuals (possibly only 24) of 11 species.  I say
possibly 24 because we cannot say with 100% confidence that the late group
of 5 Sanderlings didn't include the group of 3 from earlier in the morning.
All shorebirds were juveniles, which is very much expected in September.
The Red-necked Phalarope dropped in for less than 5 minutes before taking
off to the west.

     Unfortunately, I didn't get to work with many of the photos yet, so
I'll have to post a link at a later time.

Shorebirds:

Black-bellied Plover,  1
American Golden-Plover,  1  (circling overhead as we departed)
Semipalmated Plover,  6
Killdeer,  2
Solitary Sandpiper,  1  (heard only - high flyover)
Sanderling,  8  (groups of 3, 5)
Dunlin,  1  (first basic)
Baird's Sandpiper,  1
Pectoral Sandpiper,  2