OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:39:49 +0000
Greetings -
Yesterday's Local Patch Birding pelagic covered over 60 miles of open water in Erie and Lorain counties. The weather was perfect for covering ground and catching up with large rafts and flocks of gulls and terns feeding far offshore. We were stunned to not catch up with a jaeger(s) on this trip, as we found some of the largest concentrations of gulls and terns (particularly the latter) that we have seen in this offshore area the past 3 years. At 12.5 miles offshore, north of Huron, Justin Bosler picked up on a 2nd yr LAUGHING GULL amongst a mega flock of gulls, terns, and cormorants. Incredible looks and photos were had, and the bird ended up following our chum line 12 miles back into Vermilion, just offshore. Over 400 Common Terns, several BLACK TERNS, many Bonaparte's Gulls were found, as well as at least 4 individual Lesser Black-backed Gulls. A SANDERLING (at 8 miles offshore) passed twice directly beside the boat. The west edge of the Vermilion sandbar (beginning at 6 - 7 miles offshore and north to 13 miles offshore) continues to be prime, with astounding numbers of bait fish drawing in large flocks. We spent an intense 7 hours covering some of the best feeding grounds, but alas, jaegers did not turn up.

Jen [log in to unmask]
Cleveland, Ohio
330-701-6452