OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2013 17:12:38 -0400
Magee Marsh was really hopping with flocks of warblers today. Mostly Blackpolls and Cape Mays but also good variety to make it up to about 20 species of warblers seen. The Connecticut was a dull looking First year bird with bold complete eyering, darker brownish yellow hood and long yellow undertail coverts, seen about halfway out the estuary trail west of the boardwalk, low on the north side of the embankment. The estuary is quite flooded but still some interesting birds to look at like 35 Long-billed Dowitchers (almost all basic plumaged adults save one juvenile), some Caspians and a mix of ducks. Fairly certain I had the Red Phalarope juvenile flying around when I walked up but it flew behind the cattails to the open water unit further west. Ebird checklist below.
Good Birding
Ben Warner

birdsofben
Sep 21, 2013
Magee Marsh Wildlife Area--Boardwalk
Traveling
0.2 miles
500 Minutes
Observers: 6
All birds reported? Yes
Comments:
Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.6.2
7 Mallard
2 Ring-billed Gull
2 Herring Gull (American)
4 Caspian Tern