OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
Dino Costanzo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dino Costanzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2013 23:51:22 -0400
We had decent views of a Swallow Tailed Kite today around 4 PM at Paint Creek Wildlife Area. The bird
was soaring over a Dove hunting field located on Cope RD. Cope RD. is a right off of State Route 138
if you are coming from Greenfield and left if you are coming off of 138 from Hillsboro. The dove field
is about 1-2 miles on the right. There are 2 dove fields immediately off the road on your right. The
bird was soaring over the first field and then glided to Paint Creek where we suspect it landed. At 7PM
I glanced the whole creek bed with 10x50 binoculars, as I did not have my scope with me and am 90%
that I had the bird perched, but the distance was great and I can't be 100% sure. I have been in this
general area the last 3 days and this was our first sighting. Cope RD. is about 12 miles east of
Hillsboro on 138 and about 6 miles west of Greenfield. I am going to try to get back to the area
Wednesday, but the location is about 80 miles from my home and I can't guarantee anything.