OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2013 01:27:20 -0400
Greetings to all birders,

9/27/13  Blendon Woods, 18 species of warblers, includ. superior numbers
for the three most common species Tennessee, Cape May and Bay-breasted
(todays numbers comparable to their peak in the northern Central Altantic
states i.e. MD, NJ, etc., during the 1970's, especially the years 1974 -
Bay-breasteds were in view at one time, many being well marked colorful ad.
m. non breeding.  We spent three hours, having arrived just after 7 a.m.,
staying along the cut over forest edge, and the service road the parrallels
it watching warblers emerge from the forest, cross the cut over blaze and
fly into the narrow tree line of mature open deciduous tress, mixed with a
few spruce.and hemlocks forming a thin open tree edge to the service rd. on
the cut over side; deep mature deciduous forest, moderate to heavy
understory/windfalls and closed canopy, entended away on the opposite site
of the Service Rd.  Most warblers came down from canopy to about mid level
as time went by.  The conifers were popular trees.  One Hooded Warbler was
note worthy in that it was a male.  The first Yellow rumped 'Myrtle'
Warbler I've seen this fall, arrived alone and quickly moved off.

Birds seen at the service rd./cut over area of the Nature Center parkinglot:

Yellow-billed Cuckoo  2
Red headed Woodpecker 2 imm. flybys
Downy Woodpecker  15
Hairy Woodpecker  10
N. 'yellow shafted' Flicker 8

Eastern Wood pewee 1
Least Flycatcher  1

Warbling Vireo  1
Philadelphia Vireo  3

Carolina Chickadee 23
Tufted Titmouse  18
White breasted Nuthatch 22
Carolina Wren 10
Ruby crowned Kinglet  5

Eastern Bluebird  43
Gray cheeked Thrush  5
Swainson's Thrush 12
American Robin  200
Cedar Waxwing  80

Tennessee Warbler  33
Nashville Warbler 24
Nothern Parula  7
Chestnut sided Warbler  9
Cape May Warbler  36
Magnolia Warbler  12
Myrtle Warbler  1
Black throated Blue Warbler  8
Black throated Green Warbler  12
Pine Warbler 3  (as is the case mostly this fall, these (singles) were
foraging in Deciduous trees)
Bay breasted Warbler  44
Blackpoll 3
BlackandWhite  9
American Redstart  15
Ovenbird  6
Common Yellowthroat 4
Hooded Warbler  1
Wilson's Warbler  7

Scarlet Tanager  6
Northern Cardinal  11
Rose breasted Grosbeak  8
Indigo Bunting  4
Baltimore Oriole  8
American Goldfinch  22

Another front is expected Sunday!   Back to BDC, probably Teal/Harrier
wetlands, tomorrow.

Good birding,

Patty and David Tan

--