OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 2013 15:07:35 -0400
The cloudy morning found a modest fallout around this MetroPark along Big Darby Creek west of Columbus.  While I didn't have the masses of birds found by Peggy down at Clear Creek, there was a steady trickle of birds over the morning.  I started at Darby Bend Lakes, then went down to Sycamore Plains, before driving over to the west side entrance for the Coneflower Trail.  Waterfowl and raptors were not much in evidence anywhere, and the meadows over along the Coneflower Trail are growing small trees, so field birds were low.  But the list still included:

Waterfowl - nothing other than a flock of 75+ Canada Geese at Darby Bend Lakes
Kestrel - at least 1 was in the open fields south of Sycamore Plains
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers - 2 were at different locations 9Darby Bend Lakes and Coneflower Trail)
E.Wood Pewees - 3 at different locations around the park
Swallows,Swifts - a few Chimney Swifts were over the riparian forest at Sycamore Plains
Blue Jays - no big flocks here, but small #s were everywhere, totalling around 25 birds
Vireos - little other than a few Red-eyed
Kinglets - Golden-crowns at Sycamore Plains & Coneflower trail were my FOS, while a Ruby-cr. was at Sycamore Plains
Wrens - still a fair # of House Wrens here, especially in the overgrown meadows along the Coneflower Trail  (4)
Thrushes - 1-2 Swainson's were at each stop, while a Hermit was along the Coneflower Trail
Mimids - Catbirds were widespread, and there were Mockingbirds at 2 locations and 2 Thrashers at Sycamore Plains
Cedar Waxwings - small flocks at several different locations; the berry crop looks good here.
Larks - Horned Larks were at Darby Bend Lakes, while an E.Neadowlark called in the fields south of Sycamore Plains
Warblers - no big numbers, but good diversity, including Parula, Magnolia, TELLOW-THROATED (about as late as I've ever found one), Cape May, Black-thr.Green, Blackburnian, Blackpoll, Bay-breasted, Yellow-rumped, American Redstart, and Common Yellowthroats (8 along Coneflower Tr)

Buntings,Grosbeaks - 7+ Indigo Buntings scattered in different locations may indicate a big movement of them.
Sparrows - small flocks of Fields, plus the resident Songs, were the only sparrows
Blackbirds - small #s of Redwings and Grackles were flying around early in the morning