OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2013 15:54:18 -0400
I rushed between several spots on these 2 reservoirs north of Columbus this morning looking for migrants.  At Alum, I stopped only at the New Galena Boat Launch because the early waterfolw season made most of the other sites inaccessible.  At Hoover, I visited Oxbow Island, Wiese Rd, and Area M&N, including the Boardwalk.  Some migrants were at all of these sites, but only New Galena had significant diversity.  The water level at Hoover is noticeably lower, but there still is hardly any mud exposed at the northern end.  Notable birds for the morning included:

cormorants - small flocks in many places at Hoover; 45 off Wiese was the high count
Great Egrets - 3 at Wiese and another 2 off the Boardwalk testify to the lower water levels there
Green Heron - 1 was at Area N, along the old road east of the boardwalk
Osprey - 3 were soaring high above the bay at Galena, possibly getting ready to move south
Shorebirds - only a few Kildeer and 1 Spotted Sandpiper, all at Hoover
GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULL - a juvenile was perched with a small flocks of Herrings and Ring-bills on the Boardwalk early
Hummingbirds - 2-3 were at both New Galena and Oxbow Island
Red-headed Woodpeckers - continue to be noisy & conspicuous at both Wiese Rd (1) and off the Boardwalk (5)
Flycatchers - E.Wood Pewees were at all spots, though no more than 2.  2 Acadians were on Oxbow Island
Swallows - the handful that flew south past the Boardwalk included 6 Barn and 1 Tree
Vireos - good day, with 2-4 Warbling at every site, while Red-eyed were at New Galena (4), Wiese (2), and Area N.  New Galena also had 2 calling White-eyed Vireos.

Thrushes - a Veery and 4 Swainson's were calling along the trails at New Galena
Mimids - Catbirds were at every spot; New Galena had 24.  Brown Thrashers were at New Galena and Oxbow I.
Cedar Waxwings - flocks at every spot; 75+ off the Boardwalk was the largest
Warblers - 10 species, with most at New Galena, included Tennessee (2 at Area M), Nashville (all sites), Magnolia (all sites), Cape May (NG), Black-thr.Blue (NG), Blackpoll (NG and Area M), Bay-breasted (NG), Redstart (all sites), Ovenbird (Wiese), and Common Yellowthroat (NG)

Sparrows - little of note other than small flocks of Chippings at New Galena and Area M
Blackbirds - surprisingly few, with only 3 Grackles and 1 Redwing