OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2013 21:46:56 -0400
The water level at LaDue Reservoir (Geauga County) is going down but still
no shorebirds of consequence at 3:30pm today.  However, an hour of birding
the area turned up 6 Turkeys, an Eagle, a Palm Warbler and 15 other species
that are usually seen this time of year.  One interesting find was an Osprey
that appears to be banded on both legs.  See pics at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85567104@N05/.  When I zoomed-in on the legs I
noticed that one band seemed to have a 'flap' on it (see left leg).  I went
back to some old pictures and found an Osprey at LaDue in 2011 that was
banded on the left leg with a metal band (see pic).  Because it was perched
to one side I could not see the other leg.  I wonder if this is the same
bird two years later?

Does anyone know if this type of band is typically used on birds of prey?
Inquiring minds want to know!!

Matt Valencic

Geauga County