OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2013

From:
Matthew Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 2013 09:07:49 -0400
Warning long post …

All … as follow up to my posting yesterday here is the write up I just posted on the Birding Ohio Facebook page.  I know there are different electronic ways to engage the Ohio birding community … so please send me tips on other groups to post to as appropriate.  I thought the OOS had a message board somewhere to discuss sightings?? … but I couldn't find it after googling around a bit.

Go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/BirdingOhio/ to discuss:

All ... my dad and I saw what looked like a a Western Kingbird yesterday at the Cleveland Lakefront Nature Preserve (Dike 14). We only saw it for few minutes around 2pm. It was in the pines right next to the building and the parking lot. We drove up to the parking space and a yellow/grey bird was landing on he ground and flying back into the pine. We had very close looks for a few minutes. When we got out of the car it flew farther down the fence line away from the trail head. We watched it for a few minutes along the fence then lost it. After another brief sighting even further down the fence we lost it again and couldn't relocate it. We had it in sight for approximately 10 minutes. We covered the area for an hour and couldn't relocate the bird. It was VERY windy and there were many other birds working along the fence line as well. We saw several Phoebes, small flock of Juncos and may sparrows. My dad and I walked through the reserve and came back around 4pm to meet up with Rich and Karen Kassouf. They had just worked the fence line and didn't relocate the bird. Coincidentally, they had seen a Western Kingbird near here at Brookside Reservation on 10/22/2012!

Sorry ... no pictures!

I looked through Birds of Ohio and it states that Westerns migrate from 8/13 to 10/10 in Ohio. This sighting is a bit late for that. The only other late Oct record for Ohio was the Kassouf's from last year. The east coast has many October records.

I have seen Western Kingbirds in San Diego and when I first got my binoculars on this bird I immediately thought Western Kingbird. It took a couple of seconds for it to register that I was in Ohio and this is rare here! As for details on the bird ... it looked like the book. Lemon yellow belly, grey head, white to grey throat, dark back, almost an eye stripe ... I always thought they looked shrike like. I know about two field marks to separate Cassin's from Western ... tail white and throat white. I could not tell on this bird if the sides of the tail or the tip of tail was white. (I couldn't tell when I was seeing birds out west either!) On the throat I didn't see a really stark white contrast with the grey throat. It had a very light throat grey to white with white under the eye contrasting with the dark eye strip.

I wanted to get some discussion ... other possible birds? Cassin's seems MUCH rarer in eBird and later (two records in Nov and Jan on the east coast).
Ash-Throated Flycatcher is also much rarer in eBird. Any ID tips to consider? Thoughts?

Thanks for any input ... And thanks to Jen Brumfield for luring us out to Dike 14 with her earlier report!