OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2013

From:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Oct 2013 04:27:42 -0700
Greetings!

Spent a fantastic day of bird watching around Richland and Ashland counties with Su Snyder, Sue Evanoff and Gary Cowell yesterday. We were joined later in the day at Clearfork Reservoir by Albert Troyer, Ed Lux and Anna Wittmer.

The highlight area of the day was Clearfork Reservoir, near Lexington, OH.

The SE corner of the reservoir, near the dam, held a great assemblage of waterfowl throughout the day. In the late afternoon, we returned to find a few additions to those usual suspects that had remained throughout the day.

Highlights included:

White-winged Scoter - 1 (Present all day)
Black Scoter - 1 (Arrived p.m. - spent all of it's time close to the White-winged Scoter)
Horned Grebe - 12
Tundra Swan - 4 (Arrived p.m.)
Ruddy Duck - 85
Ring-necked Duck - 3 males
Lesser Scaup - 7 males
Bufflehead - 1 male
Gadwall - 6
Pied-billed Grebe - 3

Late in the day (4:30 on) large numbers of gulls normally come streaming into the dam end of the reservoir for the evening. Two (2) adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls were picked out of the large crowd of Ring-billed, Herring and Bonaparte's gulls. As many as 5-8 Lesser Black-backed Gulls have been present in recent days. These gulls disperse early in the morning, so if you want to see them, you need to get there really early or wait until the evening.

We also had Black Vultures (2), Turkey Vultures, Belted Kingfisher, Tree Swallow (2) and Great Blue Heron.

Anna Wittmer will be leading a Richland County Park District (Gorman Nature Center) waterfowl walk at Clearfork Reservoir this morning (10/27/13) at 8:30 a.m. All are welcome to attend. We will be meeting at the pull-off (intersection of Gass and Lexington-Ontario roads) at 8:30 a.m. I would imagine that most of these birds will still be present this morning as they were all settling into the far SE corner (cove) of the reservoir, near the dam, for the evening last night.

Good birding,

Jason

Jason S. Larson
Director - Richland County Park District/Gorman Nature Center/B&O Bike Trail
Curator - Muskingum University Herbarium (MUS)
2295 Lexington Avenue
Mansfield, Ohio 44907
419-884-3764
gormannaturecenter.org