OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2013

From:
M & D Dunakin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
M & D Dunakin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2013 16:29:22 -0400
Greetings from the flatlands,

Yesterday morning my wife Micki had a long encounter with a first fall Townsend’s Warbler.  Obviously, this is an extremely unlikely species for Ohio, but Micki has been birding for more than 45 years, and warblers are her special interest, so she was aware during the 5 to 6 minutes that she observed  the bird moving about in a tree not more than thirty feet away, she knew that it was something different.   The only real question regarding this bird was whether it might be a young Black-throated Green or not, but Micki has seen hundreds of Black-throated Greens over the years, and this bird had the yellow throat and breast with white belly as well as several other diagnostic markings that the BTGR does not, so she is confident of her identification.  We were able to find several good photos online that matched her observations very closely.

Unfortunately the bird flew away across the neighbor’s field and has not returned.    Once again she has a great species that I missed!

Bird long and prosper,
Doug & Micki Dunakin
Antwerp, O.