OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2013

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2013 19:49:45 -0400
An invitation goes out to all you birders in Ohio and Western Pennsylvania, to attend "The Pioneer Days" event at Beaver Creek State Park in southeastern Columbiana County; tomorrow, Saturday, and also on Sunday. For birders, the highlight will be seeing a falconry demonstration given by three falconers, with Master Falconer Mick Brown and his three Harris' Hawks being the headliners. The falconers and their birds, will be available to get acquainted with, from 11AM to 4PM Saturday, at "The Beaver Creek Wildlife Education Center". Flight demonstrations will take place from 1PM to 2:30PM Saturday afternoon. This event is also the perfect opportunity for all of you to visit a hidden jewel, "The Beaver Creek Wildlife Education Center". On display in natural looking settings, are over 360 bird and mammal mounts, from a Great Gray Owl to a Passenger Pigeon, from a full size Mountain Goat to a full size Grizzly Bear. Some of the other amazing displays of interest are an unbelievable egg collection of over 200 bird species, numerous eastern Ohio Indian artifacts, and a hands on area for the kids, just to name a few. "The Center" will be open both days from 10AM to 5PM. The main area of "The Pioneer Days" event is down the hill from "The Center" in a wonderfully restored pioneer village, which includes Gaston's Mill, an operating grist mill. Scenic Little Beaver Creek passes thru this deep sloped Appalachian valley. Wildlife claims to fame here are nesting Common Mergansers and seldom found Hellbender Salamanders. There is no charge for this memorable adventure to this habitat and wildlife diverse mecca. My wife Denise and I, will be part of the volunteer staff at "The Center" both days. Look us up, and we will give any visiting birder a special tour. I personally guarantee, you will not be disappointed in making the journey here. To reach the site, southeast of the town of Lisbon, follow SR11 south to the SR7 Exit, go north a couple of miles until you reach The Beaver Local Schools; turn right following the signs to "The Center". Hope to see you there tomorrow.

Bob Lane