OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2013

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2013 20:01:00 -0400
There were at least 2 beautiful Nelson's Sparrows in the SE corner of the wetlands of the Deer Creek Wildlife Area this afternoon. Despite similar looking habitat widely available throughout the southern wetlands, that southeastern fork consistently is where they seem to turn up every year. I haven't had any free mornings in a while, which is the much better time of day to look for the Ammodramus species, but hopefully I can get back there again before too long. I haven't seen any LeConte's Sparrows there yet this year, but they were also present in that same area in 2011 and 2012. The area near the entrance in New Holland has recently been mowed, but a clear path all the way to the SE fork hasn't been mowed since 2010 I think, so you need to bushwhack through some dense weeds and 7 ft. tall grass to get the rest of the way there.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com