OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2013 21:22:04 -0400
I spent the cool morning at lower hoover Reservoir, then went down to Blendon Woods. At Hoover, I hiked around the Dam area and the nearby Hoover Nature Trail, while at Blendon I walked the Goldenrod Trail and the Lake Trail.  Not much waterfowl migration at either place, but the temperate landbird migrants were again out in force. Notables included:

Waterfowl - Thoreau Pond at Blendon had a few Geese, Mallards, Black Ducks, and 3 Pied-billed Grebes.  The area around Hoover dam only had Mallards and a few cormorants.

Woodpeckers - a juvenile Red-headed continues to haunt the pipeline right-of-way at Blendon Woods, while Flickers and Red-bellieds were common at both locations

Wrens, Kinglets - single Winter Wrens were at the Hoover Nature Trail and Blendon Woods.  Both Kinglets were common at both sites, with Golden-crowns being very common over the morning (30+ in 3 hours).

Thrushes - Hermit Thrush windfall, with 4 at Hoover and another 4 at Blendon.  E.Bluebirds were flocking at Hoover, with flocks of 4 and 5 flying around the disc golf area.

Brown Thrasher - 1 was lingering in the overgrown prairie area of the Hoover Nature Trail
Cedar Waxwings - flocks at Hoover, but only a few were at Blendon
Warblers - nothing but Yellow-rumps, but they were very common, with 50+ over the morning
Sparrows - small flocks of Field, Song, and White-throated were at Blendon, especially along the Goldenrod Trail.  Hoover had Towhees and White-throateds along the Hoover Nature Trail.

Blackbirds - small flyover flocks of Grackles at both spots, while a few Redwings were below Hoover Dam.
Finches - little other than small flocks of Goldfinches at several spots in Blendon