OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2013

Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2013 01:51:25 GMT
My sister, Meredith, has been seeing an unusual bird there off and on for over a week which she thinks may be a loon, but does not have a camera to record it.  She says it is there with the Canada geese but seems to disappear when the geese are gone.  She sees it sleeping on on the bank with the geese. Please- if anyone is in that area- please look for the bird since we are dying for an identification.  She has looked at merganzers and loons in her bird book, even cormorants (definitely not one of those) and it is not a duck. NO guarantee it will be there when you go by, but it is there often.  Go west W. Hamilton Road from Rt. 58 and pass the Splash Zone recreation center.  The pond is on the south side of the road past Professor Street. If it is a loon- is it true they cannot take off from small ponds? Thank you! Kathleen Bradley