OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2013

From:
Casey Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Casey Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2013 18:17:16 -0400

I just wanted to take a moment and thank everyone who attended and participated in the first Ohio Avian Research Conference.  Your participation, energy, and enthusiasm helped make this conference a great success.  I believe we had about 70 people total in attendance, which was a great turn-out for our first conference.

I also want to thank all of our great presenters, as well as those who shared their research through posters.  Everything was engaging and informative, and I think everyone walked away having learned many new things.  I want to especially recognize Jason Tucker a graduate student with the Ohio State University School of Environment and Natural Resources for his research on Sandhill Cranes in Ohio.  His tales of net guns and helicopters have got to be up there with some of the most unusual & adventurous field research methods.  Likewise the Licking County Birding Fun And Nature (FAN) Club presented three awards to students who presented exceptional posters.  Cody Kent, of Ohio Wesleyan, received third place for his work on the microbial ecosystems of avian plumage; Ann Mauro, of Ohio State University, received second place for her work on UV light plumage in Passerine birds; and Elisabeth Calhoun, M.S., of the Ohio State University Dept. of Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology received first place for her work on mitochondrial lipids and their linkage to life history traits in temperate and tropical birds.  These are just a small handful of the great scientific work being done by students and others in Ohio on birds.

Likewise, thank you to our event sponsors and host; Denison University, the Dawes Arboretum, Columbus Audubon, East Central Ohio Audubon Society, Kaufmann Field Guides, Wild Birds Unlimited of Reynoldsburg, and BioQuip.  Without their support this event would not have been possible.
I look forward to organizing this event again next year.  So if you weren't able to make it this year, look for details in the future about how you can participate.

Thank you again,

Casey Tucker
American Avian Conservation
& Research Institute
Master's Student
Miami University--Zoology
Project Dragonfly
Advanced Inquiry Program
614-403-5263

P.S.

If you were unable to make it to the conference, and would like to hear Dr. Jed Burtt's presentation about Alexander Wilson, please consider attending the Columbus Audubon meeting tomorrow evening.  Details can be found here: http://www.columbusaudubon.org/index.php/14-announcements/announcements/1152-upcoming-program-tuesday-oct-22