OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2013

From:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2013 14:27:22 -0700
Greetings!

I was able to post this encounter earlier today on Facebook. Also, many thanks to Sue Evanoff for relaying the information to the listserv this morning.

I had excellent looks at two (2) Le Conte's and at least one (1) Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow this morning at Wake Robin Trail. The Ammodramus Birding Gods were with me this morning is all I can say! The conditions were partly sunny, but very cold and blustery. The wind had everything hiding or down close to the ground/water along the boardwalk at Wake Robin Trail.

All three birds were seen between 11:30 a.m.-12:30p.m. All three birds flushed from the low growth right along the boardwalk. This growth is mainly foxtail millet (Setaria sp.) and knotweed/tear-thumb (Persicaria sp....look for the masses of red/pink stems) and the birds were actively feeding in this vegetation.The area in which they were seen was between the small flow of water that passes under the boardwalk (opens to a large open body of water on the right side of the trail) and the viewing platform area at the middle of the boardwalk. This area is perhaps 50 yds. in length. Look for the light-colored sparrows that don't flush very far or go a short distance and perch close-by in the cat-tails. I had several nice views of the Le Conte's in the vegetation (perched up higher) and along the vegetation (on) the boardwalk..at boardwalk height. The Nelson's provided a 10-15 second view perched out in the open...once it flushed to the cat-tails.

I also had many song sparrows, several swamp sparrows, one field sparrow, a marsh wren and a pied-billed grebe.

My bet is that the wind will hold these guys in place for at least today. They were intent on feeding in the same location, as I would walk the boardwalk from one end to the other...each time I approached the same general area at least one bird would flush, fly low and then drop right back down into the low vegetation.

I hope they stick around!

Good birding,

Jason

Jason S. Larson
Director - Richland County Park District/Gorman Nature Center/B&O Bike Trail
Curator - Muskingum University Herbarium (MUS)
2295 Lexington Avenue
Mansfield, Ohio 44907
419-884-3764
gormannaturecenter.org