OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2013

From:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2013 11:07:29 -0400
I was hoping to visit Shaker Lakes in the near future. I know how to get
there. I wanted to know where I can walk around the area. There appear to be
a number of good places to bird. The eBird Hotspots list shows seven spots:

Shaker Lakes--Doan Brook Gorge
Shaker Lakes--Green Lake
Shaker Lakes--Horseshoe Lake
Shaker Lakes--Lower Shaker Lake
Shaker Lakes--Marshall Lake
Shaker Lakes--Nature Center
Shaker Lakes--Southington Park

From zooming in on Google maps of the Lakes I can see that there are trails
near Horseshoe Lake and the Nature Center. Is it all right to walk around
Lower Shaker Lake? Are there views from the shore? I don't want to go
somewhere I'm not supposed to be. I realize that it is a neighborhood. I
don't want to disturb the residents. I'll bet they're used to seeing birders
around. I did read the Nature Center's web pages. The FAQ page showed the
distance from the Nature Center to Horseshoe Lake. Is there a trail or
sidewalk?

I have seen eBird reports that people are seeing a lot of waterfowl there. I
recently met a birder in the Cuyahoga Valley who lives in that area. He said
that there are black-crowned night herons there from time to time.

Any other information/advice would be appreciated.

Ken

-