OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2013

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2013 17:25:08 -0400
I headed to the DCWA again this morning with LeConte's Sparrows as the target species. I didn't see any there today in the areas I checked out, but nevertheless there were many other sparrows in large numbers throughout the area. Starting the southern wetlands a NELSON'S SPARROW continues to be seen in the same area where they have been present all month at the southern end of the SE fork of cattails directly east from the New Holland entrance. Also in that same area today was a Henslow's Sparrow in fresh plumage. Henslow's are at their finest at this time of year with brighter colors, more finely etched markings, and a much bolder eye ring compared to what we usually see in the spring and summer. Swamp Sparrows were abundant in that area with Song and Savannah Sparrows also being plentiful. Also still present in smaller numbers in the southern wetlands are Lincoln's Sparrows, Common Yellowthroats, and both Sedge and Marsh Wrens.

The fields in the northern stretches of the DCWA south of Mount Sterling are also swarming with sparrows, but they were mostly Songs, Fields, and White-crowneds today with both White-throateds and Slate-colored Juncos abundant in the brushy thickets along the creek. A lingering Orange-crowned Warbler was a highlight of the brief time I spent in that area.

The reservoir is slowly being drawn down and mudflats are appearing in the northern stretch. 9 species of shorebirds were present today, which is a good tally for the date :

~100 Killdeers
1 Semipalmated Plover
~10 Greater Yellowlegs
~6 Lesser Yellowlegs
4 Least Sandpipers
1 Western Sandpiper
2 Pectoral Sandpipers
~30 Dunlins
several Wilson's Snipes

Of the above birds it was the Semipalmated Plover that was the biggest surprise. All the others are present most years around this date. No luck at Deer Creek with any Purple Sandpipers today, although I did look out for them. Gulls were limited to the 3 expected species.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com