OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2013

Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2013 17:33:17 -0700
After vanishing for over 24 hours, one PURPLE SANDPIPER remains on the west (left) end of the south beach at East Fork SP, Clermont County.  I looked for the birds this morning, along with approximately 10 other birders, with no luck.  I went back at 6pm, and almost immediately found the single bird.  Two Dunlin remain in the cove far left; the Purple Sandpiper stays on the rocks to the right of the Osage Orange tree (all the bright green "hedge apples" all over that part of the beach)  It is very tolerant of human activity - boats, fishermen, birders and photographers - but whenever something sets the Killdeer off, it flushes and then returns to about the same spot.  Also, there is an orange tabby cat hanging around that area.

Other birds of note - 3 Common Loons, a ton of Yellow-rumped Warblers, and my first Dark-eyed Junco of the season, at least in southern Ohio.

Kathi Hutton

dancing the Happy Life Bird dance here in SW Ohio