OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2013

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2013 18:36:15 -0500
The previously reported Mosquito Creek Wildlife Area Snowy Owl, found by Larry Richardson at about 10AM this morning, Friday; was refound by Ryan Golterman at about 4:30PM, this afternoon. The original sighting was near Parking Area #14, the dove hunting lot, on north Hoagland-Blackstub Road. Eight birders had seen the celebrity visitor at this location, when at about 12:20PM, it flew to the southwest and out of sight, not to be seen for about four hours. After about an hour of searching the adjacent roads to the west after work, Ryan found the Snowy Owl in a cornstubble field on the north sjde of Mahan Denman Road, about a mile west of the intersection with Hoagland-Blackstub Road. As Judy reported, others then, had the opportunity to view the owl until dark. At both locations, the bird gave aerial displays. My wife Denise was one of the lucky morning birders to see the owl. The Snowy Owl became her #303 for Ohio in 2013, one ahead of me. I plan to look for the Snowy Owl tomorrow morning.

Bob Lane / back home in Mahoning County