OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2013

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2013 19:19:37 -0500
Without a doubt the highlight of the day, and season, was an ANCIENT
MURRELET.  I was scanning the waves with my binoculars and got on it
immediately and recognized it as an alcid.  I was able to get the scope on
it and got some great looks at it.  The blackish head and chest contrasted
with the dark gray back and wings.  There was an extension of white up the
sides of the neck.  The belly and underwings were white.  It was a chunky
large headed bird with short wings.  It had a rapid wingbeat.

Also of note was a pomarine jaeger that passed by heading west.  Waterfowl
numbers were great with over 21,000 red-breasted mergansers.  There were a
lot of very distant waterfowl on the lake.  Of note was the mergansers and
everything close in was heading west.  The distant birds were higher in the
sky and were heading east.  They may have been scaup, canvasbacks, or
redheads.  Mergansers continued to fly the rest of the day and total for the
day easily could have topped 50,000.

Lakeshore Waterbird Survey

Lakeshore Reservation, North Perry, Lake County

November 23, 2013, 0700-1030

Weather-   cloudy to partly cloudy, Wind- S 10-15 to 15-25

Temperature 36-37 F, Barometer- 30.26-30.24

Humidity-  76-75, dew point- 29-30

Waves- 4-6 to 5-7, Flight direction- west

American black duck   3

Mallard   18

Canvasback   28

Greater scaup   9