OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2013

From:
Eric Schlabach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Schlabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2013 21:35:26 -0500
This afternoon I visited East 55th St. hoping to see the Gannet.  I didn't see it for a while and was
ready to leave around 3:15 when a group of Amish birders from Wooster spotted a BLACK-LEGGED
KITTIWAKE just off shore to the west of the parking lot.  We were able to get great looks at it just
several feet from where we were standing.  After watching it for about 10-15 minutes, it settled
down in the water, bringing our attention to a  RED PHALAROPE that was just a few feet from it in the
water.  With the waves as high as they were we probably would've never spotted the Phalarope
without the Kittiwake settling down near it.  We also were finally able to get looks at the Northern
Gannet at around 3:45.  I almost missed all of this, but I was glad I stuck around for a few more
minutes when I was about to leave.

Sorry for not posting sooner, but I don't have internet on my phone and didn't get home until
recently.