OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2013

From:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2013 13:14:30 -0500
My best Thanksgiving present was finding a lone Snowy Owl at the very
eastern tip of Middle Bass Island yesterday. It was sitting on the beach
until chased by a gull and seemed to continue down the shore toward the
north and west. I could not relocate the bird. There had been a report of a
snowy owl at Pelee Island earlier in the week. Also at the Middle Bass
Island East Point Preserve was a great blue heron flying over head, lots of
waterfowl and Tundra Swans, as well as many black-capped chickadees, golden
crowned kinglets, and brown creepers.

On the boat ride from South Bass to Middle Bass Island on Thanksgiving Day
we also saw the following:

In the harbor
2 Bald Eagles
Buffleheads
Mallards
Common Goldeneye
Lesser Scaup
Red-breasted Mergansers
Black Ducks

On Reef near Gibraltar and on Docks
Greater Black-backed Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Bonaparte's Gull
12 Double-crested Cormorants

The Kuehnle State Wildlife Area pond was frozen.

The day before there were a number of Common Loons and alot of Horned Grebes
at the entrance and inside the Middle Bass Island State Park Marina.
Scheeff East Point Nature Preserve on South Bass had all the same diving and
dabbling ducks mentioned above with the addition of gadwall, ring-necked
ducks,and a lone northern shoveler.

Everything seems to be moving in a hurry with some ice in the harbor and on
the shore!

Lisa Brohl