OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2013

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2013 19:10:09 -0500
Fellow inland birders,

     Finished the day at Rehoboth, reclaimed strip mines just north of New
Lex.  The Short eared owls are definitely back.  Saw at least five, perhaps
seven.  Have photos of one eating what is clearly a short tailed vole.
 Watched as two harriers forced another Short eared owl to drop its prey.
One of them then retrieved it from the ground.  There were also 5-7
Harriers around.  Watched as one chased a dove across the road right in
front of our car.  All in all, a tremendous show, and a great finish to a
great day birding.

    Will send photos to first 100 who request them.

joe in the woods
Somerset, Ohio
Perry County