OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2013

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2013 22:26:04 -0500
I did some birding in Northwest Ohio this morning.  It definitely felt a lot
more like winter.  Most of the marshes are frozen and the lake had quite a
bit of ice forming on it.  At Metzger marsh I had a glaucous gull fly by to
make it feel more like winter.  I looked for snowy owl out this way but
couldn't come up with one.  At Metzger I did have a short-eared owl flying
out over the marsh.

At Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge I had a northern shrike a little north of
the parking lot.  The marsh here was frozen, but there was an area of open
water in the bay south of the mouth of Crane Creek.  There were 600-700
tundra swans.  I also had 4 sandhill cranes out on the mudflat and had
additional two fly by.  I also had a large flock of Canada geese go by with
two cackling geese.

Out near Davis-Besse power plant I had a flock of 17 snow geese fly by with
one Ross' s goose in the flock.    There were some good birds around, you
just had to look for them.

John Pogacnik

4765 Lockwood Road

Perry, OH 44081