OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2013

From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2013 09:55:25 -0500
November 8

Cedar waxwings are one of my favorite occasional visitors to our farm.
Today Jane and I took the short route through the woods for our morning
hike, about three-quarters of a mile instead of the usual mile and a half.
Bluebirds were singing on the fences in the hilltop field. As we circled
back to descend into the ravine closer to the house a high-pitched,
squeaking cacophony announced the presence of a sizable flock of waxwings,
I would say around forty birds, seemingly enjoying their gregarious nature
in the treetops.

Various berries seem to be in abundance this season, and the waxwings were
taking advantage of this. What with the consistent rain this year there is
still also something for the sheep and horses to eat in the pastures.
Walnuts and hickory nuts seem to be in abundance too.

But there are no acorns... none. This seems very odd to me. I have seen
fluctuations in nut abundance before. But never none, nada, zilch. Has
anyone else noticed this, and does anyone have a logical explanation? Was
there a complete collapse in the population of the pollinators, whatever
they may be? Is this a strictly local phenomenon? The numerous oaks, both
"red" and "white" (very generalized timberman's terms I realize) are
otherwise healthy, at least for the most part, with no unusual leaf fall
until recently.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Valhalla Acres Fiber Farm