OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2013

From:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2013 15:25:48 -0800
Greetings!

I was alerted to a potential Selasphorus hummingbird yesterday which had been coming to a feeder in a tiny courtyard at the Catalyst Life Service building in Mansfield, Ohio. The bird has been present since Thursday.

Steve McKee and I traveled there this morning (a very cold and snowy morning) and were able to view the bird and get photos. This is the 4th or 5th Selasphorus hummingbird for Richland County, I believe...per my conversations with Steve McKee.

The bird looks to be a hatch-year female. I will post photos on The Ohio Birds Facebook page.

The facility where it is being seen is a medical care facility and you need a pass to get into the center. The courtyard is surrounded by the building and can only be accessed from the inside. I am working to see if I can gain access for the public, but it may not be possible. I will keep you posted if the general public can access the facility to see the bird.

Good birding,

Jason

Jason S. Larson
Director - Richland County Park District/Gorman Nature Center/B&O Bike Trail
Curator - Muskingum University Herbarium (MUS)
2295 Lexington Avenue
Mansfield, Ohio 44907
419-884-3764
gormannaturecenter.org