OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2013

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 2013 17:18:05 -0500
Hi,

It seems the lack of rarities has prompted a lack of reporting from the
north coast today.While there was nothing rare in terms of species it was
none the less a great day with lots of great birds.

The highlight for me was the movement of thousands of Horned Grebes.  From
Sunset in Willoughby to Wendy in Cleveland this species was on the move and
on the water in huge numbers.  Groups of 10 or more were observed flying
offshore and many birds were near shore,  Several hundered were visible on
the water on the NE side of Cleveland Lakefront Nature preserve.

RB Merganser numbers were well into 5 figures.  The biggest group I
observed were off the mouth of the Chagrin from Sunset.  Jerry said they
came east past that location after we left.

Sims Park did not disappoint as THE place for Scooters.  All 3 varieties we
on hand, along with a Red-throated Loon well out on the water and a
reported Short-eared Owl out over the lake, seen by Kirtland Bird Club
field trip participants.

The Brown Pelican is still present at Edgewater, Wendy.

Other fun birds were Snow Bunnies and American Pipit.  Even a flock of 6
Great-blue Herons at Eastlake.

Haans