OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2013

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 2013 21:41:01 -0500
At the harbor and pier in Huron, Erie Co., I spent a couple of hours this
afternoon (Saturday Nov. 16) sifting through the flocks of gulls. Dredging
of the harbor is in process, and large numbers of gulls are attracted to
the dredging operation itself as well as feeding and resting elsewhere
along the river mouth. My conservative estimates were 5000 Ring-billed
Gulls, 4000 Bonaparte's Gulls, and 1300 Herring Gulls, as well as 6 Lesser
Black-backed, one Great Black-backed, and one Iceland Gull.

Although it's not record-early, this is definitely on the early side for
Iceland Gull. Usually the first individuals show up in late November or
December, with most occurring at hot-water outlets or other areas of open
water after serious winter weather settles in during January and February.
The one at Huron this afternoon was a classic adult Kumlien's (which is the
only type of Iceland Gull expected here), with light gray markings on its
white primary tips. It never came close enough for photos, but I had good
scope studies of the bird on the water and flying, associating with Herring
and Ring-billed gulls in the outer part of the harbor.

Other birds in the area included a few hundred Red-breasted Mergansers and
about 14 Common Loons offshore. Three Horned Grebes were there as well, but
I didn't see anything like the major flight of this species that was
reported farther east along the lake today.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, OH