OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2013

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 2013 21:44:58 -0500
It was an interesting morning with lots of birds and some great birds.
Between 8:15 -8:45 almost all of the 30,000+ mergansers passed by.  There
was one group of over 10,000 individuals.  The interesting thing was they
were almost pure merganser flocks.  I only saw 3 scaup and 1 goldeneye with
them.  Another interesting thing is when the merganser flocks were passing
by so were the gulls.  The sky was filled with gulls at times.  I found one
lesser black-backed and not a single Bonaparte's.

Of note were a female/immature plumaged king eider and a female/immature
harlequin duck.  Both were flying by themselves and both were heading east.
I also saw one red-necked grebe on the water.

I did not see the huge numbers of horned grebes that Jerry saw west of here.
However most of the grebes I saw were towards the end of my watch so they
may have just been starting.

Lakeshore Waterbird Survey

Lakeshore Reservation, North Perry, Lake County

November 16, 2013, 0700-930

Weather-   partly cloudy, Wind- S 10-15

Temperature 43-45 F, Barometer- 30.15-30.17

Humidity-  81-80, dew point- 36-39

Waves- 2-3, Flight direction- east

Lesser scaup   7

KING EIDER   1