OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2013

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2013 22:55:03 -0500
This afternoon (Weds. 11/20) I saw an adult Northern Shrike in the area
just west of the main part of Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge, Ottawa Co.,
NW Ohio. It was along Krause Road, west of its intersection with Stange
Road and just east of State Route 2. When I first saw it, the bird was
perched on a roadside wire near the southeast corner of the "Adam Grimm
Prairie," and it flew off to the north when I approached. Here's a link to
a map, for anyone unfamiliar with the area:
 http://www.bsbo.org/birding/pdf/OttawaNWRMap-Overview.pdf

The Metzger Marsh / Ottawa NWR / Magee Marsh complex probably hosts at
least a couple of Northern Shrikes every winter, but I hadn't heard any
local reports yet this season, although individuals have been reported at
various other Ohio sites during the last three weeks.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, OH