OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2013

From:
"Bennett, Gregory" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bennett, Gregory
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2013 20:24:13 +0000
While the Ohio birding community may or may not be a wholesome unit, it seems to me the original poster’s intent was not attracting the owls, and was, rather, a perhaps misguided attempt to promote the birds’ welfare.  Snowy owls in Ohio are very likely young, inexperienced birds and may not understand the danger posed by humans and vehicles. My suggestions would be to (a) not feed birds close to the road, (b) use a blind if possible, (c) contact a rehabilitator, and (d) not tell the busy bodies about what you’re doing.
 Here are some excerpts from what the American Birding Association Code of Birding Ethics (http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html) does, in fact, say:

1)     Promote the welfare of birds and their environment.

1(b) To avoid stressing birds or exposing them to danger, exercise restraint and caution during observation, photography, sound recording, or filming.
Limit the use of … methods of attracting birds, and never use such … for attracting any species that is … rare in your local area;
Keep well back from … important feeding sites. In such sensitive areas, … try to use a blind or hide, and take advantage of natural cover.
1(c) Before advertising the presence of a rare bird, evaluate the potential for disturbance to the bird …
3(c) If you are attracting birds to an area, ensure the birds are not exposed to … dangers posed by artificial hazards.

Gregory Bennett
Akron OH

“Glory to God in the highest,
And on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased.”
~ Luke 2:14