OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2013

From:
Joe Monahan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2013 13:33:58 -0600
I guess I'm not getting it. Why are there problems with feeding
raptors and not other birds? Would it be OK to feed ducks? What about
cranes? Magpies? Burrowing owls?

It felt like I was doing a good thing, especially since so many of the
snowy owls are dying of starvation when they are found. What harm
could possibly come from feeding them a few good meals? Will they
really get so quickly habituated to roads that they will start sitting
on them? Seems like quiet a stretch to me.

Anyway, I hope if people get a chance to feed these beautiful owls
this winter they take advantage of the opportunity, and possibly save
their live while doing so.

Joe