OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2013

From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2013 07:55:27 -0500
Joe and all,

Please do not feed owls.

Feeding owls is a human thing, not an owl thing. This human thing is
probably harmless to Snowy Owl populations, today, but, ask yourself, what
if our collective empathy, sympathy, compassion and energy manifest in
widespread intensive efforts to "save" owls by feeding owls, as Joe has
suggested? Imagine the flurry of new pages, websites, and organizations
encouraging this practice? Lots of owls will be fed, this year and forward.
Lots of well-meaning people will feel good. Will owls benefit?

Please grasp the moment, redirect the emotion you feel toward that young owl
perched in that vast corn field to owls' habitats everywhere. There, there
you can make a difference!

The arctic will periodically regurgitate large surpluses of owls no matter
what we do. Arctic ecosystems are boom and bust systems characterized by
periodic, fairly  cyclic, populations swings. The beautiful simplicity of
arctic systems should not be complicated by feeding predators filling a
niche near the top of the arctic food-chain. Painfully, let nature take its
course.

Lastly, carefully read the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. You may reconsider
approaching owls to feed them, and you may reconsider that Blue Jay feather
dangling from your rear view mirror.

Please support habitat conservation.

Tom Bain
Bird Conservation Chair